Kiln-Dried After Treatment Timber Columns
Kiln-Dried After Treatment Timber Columns
• Engineered to enhance the reliable strength of Southern Yellow Pine.
• Reinforced using a high-pressure treatment process to ensure the wood is protected throughout its grain.
• Protected against termites/insects, and moisture related issues.
• After being pressure treated, the posts are then kiln-dried. This eliminates excessive moisture content providing maximum stability and weight reduction.
• Using a laminated design, our KDAT Timber Columns feature a load capacity that is considerably higher than traditional solid post options.
• Hollow design allows for wiring and connections to be hidden, providing an organized installation for your deck or outdoor structure.
• Our KDAT Timber Columns are sold unfinished so they may be stained or finished to match individual projects.
• End-Sealed with a hybrid wax emulsion product to defend against moisture penetration.
KDAT Timber Column Load Strength Capacity Chart:
Kiln-Dried After Treatment Timber Columns Specifications:
• Texture: Smooth. Squared Edges and Flush Laminated Joinery.
• Drying Type: Kiln-Dried After Treatment.
• Fastener Type: Stainless Steel or Powder-Coated Fasteners are Recommended.
• Typical Weight: 4x4 (4 lb/linear foot), 6x6 (6.66 lb/linear foot), 8x8 (7.32 lb/linear foot), 10x10 (10 lb/linear foot)
• Shipping Options: Flat-bed tractor trailer, Roll Back, LTL Carrier – shipping method is determined based on location and order size to minimize cost.
**When shipping via LTL carrier, pallets longer than 12’ are subject to a $150 fee by the carrier for Overlength Freight.**
What Does "KDAT" Stand For?
"KDAT" stands for "Kiln-Dried After Treatment". The process begins by milling Southern Yellow Pine boards. The boards are then pressure treated with a lumber preservative that deters termites and assists in preventing rot and decay over time. After the boards have been treated, they are then kiln-dried to reduce moisture content. This process produces a lightweight, exceptionally stable board that is easy to work with. The boards are then laminated together to engineered specifications to form the columns. Also, KDAT boards are ready to be painted or stained when received at your job site, reducing the time needed to complete your project.
Our KDAT Timber Columns are ready for installation once received on your jobsite. However, wood will shrink and swell with any changes in moisture content and weather. To minimize dimensional change after installation, install KDAT Timber Columns at a moisture content that matches the local climate as closely as possible. If the climate in a particular region causes wood to maintain 8% to 13% moisture content annually, then ideally, KDAT Timber Columns would be installed at a moisture content within that range, and the material would be stored, stickered and protected for a week to ten days prior to application.
With any unfinished exterior wood, applying a quality finish to all surfaces (including the ends) is recommended. An exterior finish protects the wood from moisture absorption, UV degradation, and helps prevent any finger stains caused by touching the unfinished wood. We offer a wide selection of Exterior Finishes that we can recommend based on the final sheen level and look that is desired. You can find all of the exterior stains and finish products that we carry at our Exterior Stains page.
Storage Prior To Application:
Until installed, protection from direct sunlight, water saturation, snow, ice, dirt, and other elements is highly recommended. Ideally, the columns should be stored in an enclosed building such as a garage prior to use. It is best to store the columns flat and off the ground with a vapor barrier so that moisture is not absorbed through the bottom of the columns. If stored outside, the siding should be protected with a waterproof covering elevated in the center so that water does not pool. We also recommend that you do not completely seal the columns, as good air circulation is required to prevent any blue stain or molding.
|Stain Use Area||Decks, Exterior|
|Species||Southern Yellow Pine|