2x6 Douglas Fir Tongue & Groove Decking
2x6 Douglas Fir Tongue and Groove Decking
As one of the hardest and most dense of the softwood species, Douglas Fir makes a practical, as well as a beautiful, addition to your home. Frequently used for loft flooring and roof decking, the uniquely straight grain and reddish-orange color of Douglas Fir provides eye-catching appeal wherever it is installed. With a higher structural value over other softwoods, Douglas Fir is able to span further, making it perfect for those who need longer lengths for exposed beams, exterior siding, building frames, or flooring.
2x6 Douglas Fir Tongue and Groove Decking Product Specifications:
• Width: 5”
• Thickness: 1 1/2”
• Grade: Premium Select Decking
• Available Lengths: 12’, 14’, and 16’ lengths are available. Please let us know if you need a specific piece count.
• Cutting Waste: We recommend allowing approximately 5%-10% cutting waste for this product.
• Typical Weight Per Linear Foot: 1 1/2 lbs/lf
• Profile: V-Joint/Square Edge
• Typical Lead Time: Typically available in 1-2 weeks.
• Hewing Option: Hand Hewing is not available with this profile.
• Shipping Options: Flat-bed Tractor Trailer, Roll Back, and LTL Carrier; shipping method is based on location and order size to minimize cost.
**When shipping via LTL Carrier, pallets longer than 12’ are subject to a $150 fee by the carrier for Overlength Freight**
• Please Note: The product images shown are for illustration purposes only and may not be an exact representation of the product. Twin Creeks reserves the right to change product specifications at any time without notice.
- Douglas Fir Species Information
- Tongue and Groove Roof Decking Installation Guide
- Plank and Beam Framing Guide for Residential Buildings
You can calculate the coverage for tongue and groove using our Tips Page, How Do I Determine How Much Lumber I Need? Please call us if you would like a free takeoff on your project as well.
Our Kiln Dried 2x6 Douglas Fir Tongue and Groove Decking is ready for installation once received on your jobsite. However, wood will shrink and swell with any changes in moisture content and weather. According to WWPA, to minimize dimensional change after installation, install tongue and groove at a moisture content that matches the local climate as closely as possible. If the climate in a particular region causes wood to maintain 8% to 13% moisture content annually, then the most ideal tongue and groove would be installed at a moisture content within that range, and the material would be stored, stickered and protected for a week to ten days prior to application.
With any unfinished interior wood, applying a quality finish to all surfaces (including the ends) is recommended. An interior finish protects the wood from moisture absorption and UV degradation, and helps prevent any finger stains caused by touching the unfinished wood. On occasion, the tongue and groove may have a mill glaze that is produced when the material is manufactured through the planer. When mill glaze occurs, it is recommended to remove it by sanding prior to staining or clear-coating the wood. Sanding is not recommended as a first option unless every piece is sanded. We offer a wide selection of Water Based Interior Finishes that we can recommend based on the final sheen level and look that is desired. Most interior finishes do not have to be re-coated or reapplied depending on the UV exposure to your home. You can find all of the interior stains and finish products that we carry at our Interior Stains page.
Storage Prior To Application:
Prior to installation, all tongue and groove needs protection from direct sunlight, water saturation, snow, ice, dirt, and other elements. Ideally, the tongue and groove should be stored in an enclosed building such as a garage prior to use. It is best to store the tongue and groove flat and off the ground with a vapor barrier so that moisture is not absorbed through the bottom boards of the stack. If stored outside, the siding should be protected with a waterproof covering elevated in the center so that water does not pool on the cover. We also recommend that you do not completely seal the bundle, as good air circulation is required to prevent any blue stain or molding.
|Edge Profile||Edge-V Tongue & Groove, Square-Edge Tongue & Groove|
|Guides / Product Info|