1x8 Western Red Cedar Channel Rustic Siding
1x8 Western Red Cedar Channel Rustic Siding Product Specifications:
• Stack Height: 6 1/2"
• Thickness: 11/16"
• Available Lengths: 8', 10’, 12’, 14’, and 16'. Specified piece counts are available depending on current stock at time of order.
• Grade: STK Grade (Select Tight Knotty).
• Installation Type: Stainless Steel Nail or Screw.
• Cutting Waste: Recommended approximately 5%-10% for walls, 15%-25% for gable ends depending on roof angle.
• Typical Weight per linear foot:1 lb./lf
• Surfacing: Light Rough Texture.
• Hewing Option: Hand Hewing or Draw Knifing is not available on this profile.
• False Corners: There are no matching False Corners available with this profile.
• Shipping Options: Flat-bed tractor trailer, Roll Back, LTL Carrier. Shipping method is determined based on location and order size to minimize cost.
• Please Note: The product images shown are for illustration purposes only and may not be an exact representation of the product. Twin Creeks reserves the right to change product specifications at any time without notice.
How To Install Western Red Cedar Siding
Quick Facts About Western Red Cedar
8 Reasons Why Western Red Cedar Is The Right Choice For Your Home
How to Finish Western Red Cedar
How to Specify Western Red Cedar
You can calculate the coverage for the channel rustic log siding using our Tips page: How Do I Determine How Much Lumber I Need? Please call us if you would like a free takeoff for your project as well.
Our Kiln Dried 1x8 Western Red Cedar Channel Rustic siding is ready for installation once received on your jobsite. However, wood will shrink and swell with any changes in moisture content and weather. According to WRCLA, to minimize dimensional change after installation, install channel rustic siding at a moisture content that matches with local climate as closely as possible. If climate in a particular region causes wood to maintain 8% to 13% moisture content annually, then the most ideal log siding would be installed at a moisture content within that range, and the material would be stored, stickered and protected for a week to ten days prior to application.
Log Siding Maintenance:
As with every unfinished exterior wood, applying a quality finish to all surfaces (including the ends) is recommended. An exterior finish protects the wood from moisture absorption and UV degradation, and helps prevent staining caused by mold and mildew. On occasion, the siding may have a mill glaze that is produced when the material is manufactured through the planer. When mill glaze occurs, it is recommended to remove it by pressure washing the wood or sanding prior to staining. Sanding is not recommended as a first option unless every piece is sanded. We offer a wide selection of Oil and Water Based exterior finishes that we can recommend based on the final finish, maintenance schedule and look that is desired. Most exterior finishes do have to be re-coated or reapplied every 3 -5 years depending on the UV exposure to your home. You can find all of the exterior stain products that we carry at our Exterior Stains page. It is also recommended to caulk areas joints where the log siding butts into the corners or trim to prevent any moisture from getting behind the siding. All of our caulking items are located at our Caulk page.
Storage Prior To Application:
Until installed, all tongue and groove needs protection from direct sunlight, water saturation, snow, ice, dirt, and other elements. Ideally, the channel rustic siding should be stored in an enclosed building such as a garage prior to use. It is best to store the channel rustic siding flat and off the ground with a vapor barrier so that moisture is not absorbed through the bottom boards of the stack. If stored outside, the siding should be protected with a waterproof covering elevated in the center so that water does not pool on the cover. We also recommend that you do not completely seal the bundle, as good air circulation is required to prevent any blue stain or molding.
|Siding Type||Channel Rustic|
|Board Texture||Smooth, Rough|
|Species||Western Red Cedar|