Additional Resources for Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE:
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE Product Brochure
• Cetol Maintenance RE CPSC Certificate of Compliance
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE Safety Data Sheet (Spanish)
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE Safety Data Sheet (French)
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE Application Methods
• Long Haired Natural Bristle Brush.
• Airless Sprayer - Use a .011”-.013” tip at 1200 - 1700 psi. Back brush immediately.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE Dry Time
• Drying Time – 24 hours minimum at 68°F and 65% relative humidity. At temperatures below 50º F (10º C) or conditions of high humidity the drying time will be extended.
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE dries to touch in approximately 6 hours.
• Dries to hard cure in 24-48 hours.
• Low temperature, high humidity, thick films or poor ventilation will increase these times.
• Avoid heavy abrasions immediately following application.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE Preparation Instructions
• All wood surfaces must be thoroughly clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew, mill glaze and previous coatings before applying Cetol Maintenance RE Wood Finish.
1. Spray all wood surfaces with clean water, completely wetting the wood.
2. Generously apply a cleaning solution of four (4) ounces of 100% powdered Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) or phosphate-free substitute with one (1) quart of liquid bleach and three (3) quarts of water to the wood surfaces with a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover.
3. Let the solution dwell on the wood for 15-20 minutes as you scrub the surface with a hard bristle brush to help remove mill glaze or weathering. Do not allow solution to dry on the wood surface.
4. Power wash cleaning solution from the wood with plenty of clean fresh water using 500 -800 psi with the nozzle 8-12 inches from the surface for full effectiveness of the cleaning and to prevent damage to the wood.
5. Allow the surface to dry for at least 48 hours, or to have a moisture content of 18% or less before finishing.
7. Cetol Maintenance RE Wood Finish should be applied within four weeks for vertical surfaces (siding), provided that the surface remains free of dirt, grease grim, mildew.
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE is not manufactured with lead or mercury containing materials.
• Weathered grey wood or wood affected with blue fungi or rust from nails may be treated after the surface preparation by applying a solution of four ounces of oxalic acid crystals in a gallon of warm water. This solution should be allowed to sit on the affected areas for 15-20 minutes before the final rinse with clean water. Let dry three days before coating.
Checking Moisture Content Before Staining:
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE cannot be applied when the moisture content of the wood is over 18%.
• If applied on wood with over 18% moisture content, mold and mildew may grow beneath the finish which may cause peeling, cracking and failure over time.
• It is recommended to use a Moisture Meter to test the moisture content of your wood before starting your staining project. A good moisture meter can be purchased am most hardware or home improvement stores.
Caulking Cracks, Checks, and Gaps:
• Fill all joints, cracks and nail holes with a quality acrylic latex caulk/filler such as Perma Chink Energy Seal or Weatherall UV Guard Textured Caulk prior to applying Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE.
• Any cracks or checks that are upward facing which can hold water need to be sealed immediately to prevent any future rot or decay.
• Some larger cracks may need Closed Cell Backer Rod to help insulate and fill the space in ensure a proper seal.
• An annual inspection of all corners, butt joints, windows and doors is helpful in insulating and maintaining the life of your log home.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE Application Information
• Test wood for absorbency by sprinkling water on the surface – if water is absorbed within 30 seconds – 2 minutes, depending on climate, the surface is ready for finishing. If water is not absorbed, wait 30 days and re-test.
• Before starting, test your color choice on a small area, applying all coats required.
• Stir thoroughly with a drill mixer such as a Shurline 5 Gallon Paint Mixer before and periodically during application. Intermix all products together before starting to avoid color variance.
• Brushing is the preferred method of application, using a natural bristle brush (such as a Wooster 5 1/2” Bravo Stainer), if applied by roller or airless sprayer, back brush immediately to ensure penetration and to avoid an uneven finish. For airless spray, use a .011”-.013” tip at 1200 - 1700 psi, adjust pressure as needed.
• Apply when the surface and air temperature is between 50° F (10° C) - 90° F (32° C).
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE needs UV light to cure properly. The absence of UV light will significantly slow the drying process.
• Do not apply in direct sunlight, if rain, snow, heavy dew or low temperatures below 40° F (4° C) are expected within 48 hours.
• Do not thin.
• After preparation, apply one even coat of Cetol Maintenance RE Wood Finish, avoiding heavy application.
• Allow to dry a minimum of 24 hours.
• Brush on a liberal coat and maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks. Brush in the direction of the wood grain starting at one end of the board or log and continuing to the other end of the board or log.
• Coat all end grains and the back of all boards if possible.
• Apply over Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 RE Plus or Cetol Log & Siding where the surface is in good condition and has been maintained according to Sikkens guidelines.
• Do not apply Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE over raw wood, decks, doors, outdoor furniture, or fences. Do not apply over Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window, Cetol SRD, or Cetol DEK Finish. Do not use for marine applications.
Application Note: Tannin containing woods such as redwood, red cedar, mahogany, douglas fir, etc. contain tannic acid which tends to migrate to the surface and discolor the stain, especially noticeable when using white or light colors. The discoloration is not harmful and can usually be removed. Apply a cleaning solution of four (4) ounces of oxalic acid to one gallon of warm water using a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover. Allow solution to dwell on surface for 20 minutes then thoroughly rise with clean water. DO NOT ALLOW solution to dry on wood surface.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE Cleanup & Shelf Life
• Clean all tools immediately with mineral spirits.
• Clean spills right away with a damp cloth.
• Shelf Life: 5 years maximum - unopened.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE Reapplication Instructions
• Proper maintenance starts with visual inspection.
• To maintain the products protective characteristics apply a maintenance coat, when visibly required or sheen appears dull and before wood starts to turn grey.
• Areas that show minimal wear should only be lightly coated. Hardwoods and lighter colors may require more frequent maintenance.
• A timeframe of 2 to 3 years can be used as a general guideline.
• As weathering, exposure conditions, altitude, and applications can vary, maintenance may be needed sooner and should be performed when visually necessary, regardless of timeframe.
• To identify the changes caused by weathering, we recommend saving a coated board from your project and storing it indoors. This can be used to periodically compare to your exterior surface to determine when cleaning, maintenance or replacement are needed.
• Before application of a maintenance coat, prepare the surface using the previously mentioned TSP solution but reducing the solution to 2 ounces of 100% powdered Tri-Sodium Phosphate or phosphate-free substitute.
• Let the surface dry 3 days after power washing. Apply 1 coat of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE.
• An annual inspection of all new cracks/checks, corners, butt joints, windows and doors is helpful in maintaining the life of your log home.
• Fill any new cracks with a quality acrylic latex caulk/filler such as Sashco Conceal Caulk, Perma Chink Energy Seal, or Weatherall UV Guard Textured Caulk.
• If Carpenter Bees are present and have drilled any new holes, it is best clean the area and seal the bee hole. Please check out our Carpenter Bee Additives for preventive solutions.
• An annual cleaning of the structure with a house wash such as Perma Chink Log Wash helps to prevent any accumulation of dirt, pollen, dust and airborne contaminates.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE Application Do’s and Don’ts
• Apply over existing Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 Plus RE or Cetol Log & Siding.
• Intermix different batches/cans together to ensure consistency.
• Apply when the surface and air temperature is between 50ºF and 95ºF (10ºC and 35ºC).
• Saturate all end grains, nail holes and cracks in the wood.
• Maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks.
• Apply a liberal coat in the direction of the wood grain using a long haired natural bristle brush such as a Wooster 4” Oil Stain Brush. (Cetol Maintenance RE may be sprayed when backbrushed).
• Stir well before using with a Shurline 5 Gallon Paint Mixer. Do not shake if using product the same day.
• Back prime (if possible).
• Do not apply on decks, doors, outdoor furniture or fences.
• Do not apply over Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window, Cetol SRD or Cetol DEK Finish. All previous coatings must be completely removed, except structures already coated with Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Log & Siding or Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE & 23 RE systems.
• Do not apply on raw wood.
• Do not use for marine applications
• Do not apply when the surface is hot to the touch.
• Do not apply when dew or frost is present or expected within five (5) hours.
• Do not apply in wet weather.
• Do not apply when moisture content of the wood is greater than 18%.
• Do not thin with any mineral spirits or paint thinner.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE Clear Topcoat:
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE Clear Topcoat is available in a satin finish for maintenance applications.