Additional Technical Information and Resources for Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 RE:
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 RE Product Brochure
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 RE Tech Data Sheet
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 RE Safety Data Sheet (Spanish)
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 RE Safety Data Sheet (French)
• Cetol 23 RE CPSC Certificate of Compliance
• Long Haired Natural Bristle Brush.
• Airless Sprayer - Use a .011”-.013” tip at 1200 - 1700 psi. Back brush immediately.
• Roller - Back brush Immediately.
• Drying Time – 24 hours minimum at 68°F and 65% relative humidity. At temperatures below 50º F (10º C) or conditions of high humidity the drying time will be extended.
• Proluxe Cetol 23 RE dries to touch in approximately 6 hours.
• Dries to recoat in 24 hours additional coat may increase these times.
• Light foot traffic after approximately 48 hours.
• Wait 7 days before using furniture.
• Low temperature, high humidity, thick films or poor ventilation will increase these times. Avoid heavy abrasions immediately following application.
• All wood surfaces must be thoroughly clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew, mill glaze and previous coatings before applying Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 RE Wood Finish.
• The best method to prepare vertical wood surfaces is to sand with 80-120 grit sandpaper. However, the following preparation may be used as an alternate to sanding.
1. Spray all wood surfaces with clean water, completely wetting the wood.
2. Generously apply a cleaning solution of four (4) ounces of 100% powdered Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) or phosphate-free substitute with one (1) quart of liquid bleach and three (3) quarts of water to the wood surfaces with a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover.
3. Let the solution dwell on the wood for 15-20 minutes as you scrub the surface with a hard bristle brush to help remove mill glaze or weathering. Do not allow solution to dry on the wood surface.
4. Power wash cleaning solution from the wood with plenty of clean fresh water using 500-800 psi with the nozzle 8-12 inches from the surface for full effectiveness of the cleaning and to prevent damage to the wood.
5. Allow the surface to dry for at least 48 hours, or to have a moisture content of 18% or less before finishing.
6. For achieving optimum wood surface porosity and natural uniformity sand all pre-cleaned wood using 80-120 grit sandpaper for vertical surfaces and 60- 80 grit sandpaper for horizontal surfaces. Always sand in the direction of the wood grain and remove sanding dust.
7. Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 Re Wood Finish and Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 Plus RE Top Coat should be applied within one week of preparation for horizontal surfaces (decks) and within four weeks for vertical surfaces (siding), provided that the surface remains free of dirt, grease grim, mildew.
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 RE is not manufactured with lead or mercury containing materials.
• New rough-sawn wood less than four weeks old should be dry-brushed with stiff bristles to remove loose dirt and fibers. If debris is still present, follow the preparation procedures.
• Weathered grey wood or wood affected with blue fungi or rust from nails may be treated after the surface preparation by applying a solution of four ounces of oxalic acid crystals in a gallon of warm water. This solution should be allowed to sit on the affected areas for 15-20 minutes before the final rinse with clean water. Let dry three days before coating.
• It is always recommended to perform a full system color test on a sample of the wood.
• Previous coatings must be removed prior to the application of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE and Cetol 23 RE System.
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE is always used as the first coat in any bare wood application.
• All systems consist of three (3) coats.
Previously Coated Wood - Previous stains, varnishes or sealers must be completely and thoroughly removed prior to application of Proluxe Cetol 23 RE Wood Finish. After removal of previous coatings, clean and prepare surface as specified above.
New Wood - Clean and prepare all wood surfaces as specified above. Pressure treated wood must be properly seasoned, dry with a moisture content of 18% or less and free of salts and other water soluble materials before applying stain. Water- repellent treated lumber requires one year minimum of weathering prior to cleaning and application.
Weathered Uncoated Wood – Clean and prepare surface as specified above.
Exotic Hardwoods - Ipe, mahogany, iron wood, tiger wood and teak woods exhibit a dense cell structure which may reduce the ability of a coating to penetrate the wood surface. Clean and prepare all wood surfaces as specified above. Immediately prior to applying coating, wipe surface with acetone.
Checking Moisture Content Before Staining:
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 RE cannot be applied when the moisture content of the wood is over 18%.
• If applied on wood with over 18% moisture content, mold and mildew may grow beneath the finish which may cause peeling, cracking and failure over time.
• It is recommended to use a Moisture Meter to test the moisture content of your wood before starting your staining project. A good moisture meter can be purchased at most hardware or home improvement stores.
Caulking Cracks, Checks, and Gaps :
• Fill all joints, cracks and nail holes with a quality acrylic latex caulk/filler such as Perma Chink Energy Seal or Weatherall UV Guard Textured Caulk prior to applying Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 RE Stain.
• Any cracks or checks that are upward facing which can hold water need to be sealed immediately to prevent any future rot or decay.
• Some larger cracks may need Closed Cell Backer Rod to help insulate and fill the space in ensure a proper seal.
• An annual inspection of all corners, butt joints, windows and doors is helpful in insulating and maintaining the life of your log home.
• Test wood for absorbency by sprinkling water on the surface – if water is absorbed within 30 seconds – 2 minutes, depending on climate, the surface is ready for finishing. If water is not absorbed, wait 30 days and re-test.
• Before starting, test your color choice on a small area, applying all coats required.
• Cetol 1 RE Wood Finish and Cetol 23 Plus RE Top Coat color Natural Light (996) will weather faster than others. This color is not recommended for use on darker colored woods.
• Stir thoroughly with a drill mixer such as a Shurline 5 Gallon Paint Mixer before and periodically during application. Intermix all product together before starting to avoid color variance.
• Brushing is the preferred method of application, using a natural bristle brush (such as Wooster 4" Bravo Stainer), if applied by roller or airless sprayer, back brush immediately to ensure penetration and to avoid an uneven finish. For airless spray, use a .011”-.013” tip at 1200 - 1700 psi, adjust pressure as needed.
• Apply when the surface and air temperature is between 50° F (10° C) - 90° F (32° C).
• Do not apply in direct sunlight, if rain, snow, heavy dew or low temperatures below 40° F (4° C) are expected within 48 hours.
• Do not thin.
• After preparation, apply one even coat of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Wood Finish, avoiding heavy application.
• Allow to dry a minimum of 24 hours.
• Must be top coated with two coats of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol® 23 Plus RE Top Coat, following label application directions.
• The first coat must be thoroughly dry before application of the second coat. If possible, back prime with the first coat. During application, saturate all end grains, nail holes, cavities, and cracks in the wood.
• Brush on a liberal coat and maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks. Brush in the direction of the wood grain starting at one end of the board or log and continuing to the other end of the board or log.
• The first coat of any Sikkens Proluxe Cetol system should be applied from the bottom up to avoid drips which may streak the surface below. Follow with recommended maintenance procedures and schedule.
• Coat all end grains and the back of all boards if possible.
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 Plus RE Top Coat is not recommended for outdoor furniture or fences. Since outdoor furniture and fences are considered to be in a high moisture environment three coats of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 RE Wood Finish would be your best method of application.
Application Note: Tannin containing woods such as redwood, red cedar, mahogany, douglas fir, etc. contain tannic acid which tends to migrate to the surface and discolor the stain, especially noticeable when using white or light colors. The discoloration is not harmful and can usually be removed. Apply a cleaning solution of four (4) ounces of oxalic acid to one gallon of warm water using a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover. Allow solution to dwell on surface for 20 minutes then thoroughly rise with clean water. DO NOT ALLOW solution to dry on wood surface.
Cleanup & Shelf Life
• Clean all tools immediately with mineral spirits.
• Clean spills right away with a damp cloth.
• Shelf Life: 5 years maximum - unopened.
• Proper maintenance starts with visual inspection.
• To maintain the products protective characteristics apply a maintenance coat, when visibly required or sheen appears dull and before wood starts to turn grey .
• Areas that show minimal wear should only be lightly coated. Hardwoods and lighter colors may require more frequent maintenance.
• A timeframe of 2 to 3 years on the South and West exposures and 3 to 4 years on the North and East exposures can be used as a general guideline.
• As weathering, exposure conditions, altitude, and applications can vary, maintenance may be needed sooner and should be performed when visually necessary, regardless of timeframe.
• To identify the changes caused by weathering, we recommend saving a coated board from your project and storing it indoors. This can be used to periodically compare to your exterior surface to determine when cleaning, maintenance or replacement are needed.
• Before application of a maintenance coat, prepare the surface using the previously mentioned TSP solution but reducing the solution to 2 ounces of 100% powdered Tri-Sodium Phosphate or phosphate-free substitute.
• Let the surface dry 3 days after power washing. Apply 1 coat of Cetol 23 RE or Cetol Maintenance RE.
• For outdoor furniture, apply a maintenance coat of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 RE every one to two years.
• An annual inspection of all new cracks/checks, corners, butt joints, windows and doors is helpful in maintaining the life of your log home.
• Fill any new cracks with a quality acrylic latex caulk/filler such as Sashco Conceal Caulk, Perma Chink Energy Seal, or Weatherall UV Guard Textured Caulk.
• If Carpenter Bees are present and have drilled any new holes, it is best clean the area and seal the bee hole. Please check out our Carpenter Bee stain additives for preventive solutions.
• An annual cleaning of the structure with a house wash helps to prevent any accumulation of dirt, pollen, dust and airborne contaminates.
Application Do’s and Don’ts
• Prepare your wood properly for stain and finish application. Mill glaze, the shiny surface created when lumber is planed, may keep coatings from penetrating.
• Intermix different batches/cans together to ensure color consistency.
• Apply when the surface and air temperature is between 50ºF and 95ºF (10ºC and 35ºC).
• Saturate all end grains, nail holes and cracks in the wood.
• Maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks.
• Apply in the direction of the wood grain using a long haired natural bristle brush (such as the Wooster 5 1/2" Bravo Stainer).
• Stir well before using with a Shurline 5 Gallon Paint Mixer. Do not shake if using product the same day.
• Back prime (if possible).
• Do not apply over previously coated surfaces. All previous coatings must be completely removed, except structures already coated with Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Log & Siding or Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 & 23 systems.
• Do not apply when the surface is hot to the touch.
• Do not apply when dew or frost is present or expected within five (5) hours.
• Do not apply in wet weather.
• Do not apply when moisture content of the wood is greater than 18%.
• Do not thin with any mineral spirits or paint thinner.