2x8 Southern Yellow Pine "D" Log Siding
2x8 Southern Yellow Pine “D” Log Siding is a versatile and popular rounded log profile that offers a distinct grain pattern and appealing golden color. Also referred to as Quarter Log Siding, our solid wood 2x8 Southern Yellow Pine D Log siding can be applied on any conventional frame construction while still achieving the rustic look and feel of a log home. Our 2x8 Yellow Pine Siding is Kiln-Dried to minimize the effects of shrinking and swelling.
2x8 Southern Yellow Pine “D” Log Siding Features & Benefits:
• Easy & Quick Installation. ~ Great for Do-It-Yourself.
• Precision Milled, Solid Wood Siding.
• Versatility ~ Siding can be Applied to any Existing Home or Building.
• Energy Efficiency ~ Better overall insulation quality than full log.
• Conventional frame construction while still achieving the rustic feel of a log home.
2x8 Southern Yellow Pine “D” Log Siding Product Specifications:
• Stack Height: 6 1/4"
• Thickness: 1 1/2"
• Available Lengths: 8', 10’, 12’, 14’, and 16'. Specified piece counts are available depending on current stock at time of order.
• Grade: #2.
• Installation Type: Stainless Steel Nail or Screw.
• Cutting Waste: Recommended approximately 5%-10% for walls, 15%-25% for gable ends depending on roof angle.
• Typical Weight per linear foot: 2 ½ lbs./lf.
• Profile: Milled Smooth.
• Hewing Option: Hand Hewing or Draw Knifing is not available on this profile.
• False Corners: There are no False Corners available with this profile.
• Shipping Options: Flat-bed tractor trailer, Roll Back, LTL Carrier. Shipping method is determined based on location and order size to minimize cost.
**When shipping via LTL carrier, pallets longer than 12' are subject to a $150 fee by the carrier for Overlength Freight.**
• Please Note: The product images shown are for illustration purposes only and may not be an exact representation of the product. Twin Creeks reserves the right to change product specifications at any time without notice.
2x8 Southern Yellow Pine "D" Log Siding Coverage Calculations:
You can calculate the coverage for this siding using our Tips page: How Do I Determine How Much Lumber I Need? Please call us if you would like a free takeoff for your project as well.
2x8 Southern Yellow Pine “D” Log Siding Resources:
Guide to Southern Pine Siding
2x8 Southern Yellow Pine “D” Log Siding Preparation Information:
Our Kiln Dried 2x8 Yellow Pine “D” Log Siding is ready for installation once received on your jobsite. However, wood will shrink and swell with any changes in moisture content and weather. According to the Southern Pine Council, to minimize dimensional change after installation, install siding at a moisture content that matches with local climate as closely as possible. If climate in a particular region causes wood to maintain 9% to 14% moisture content annually, then the most ideal siding would be installed at a moisture content within that range, and the material would be stored, stickered and protected for a week to ten days prior to application. If unseasoned yellow pine is used, it is always best practice to allow for additional shrinkage and moisture stabilization before you apply a final stain or finish.
2x8 Southern Yellow Pine “D” Log Siding Maintenance:
As with every unfinished exterior wood, applying a quality finish to all surfaces (including the ends) is recommended. An exterior finish protects the wood from moisture absorption and UV degradation, and helps prevent staining caused by mold and mildew. On occasion, the siding may have a mill glaze thatis produced when the material is manufactured through the planer. When mill glaze occurs, it is recommended to remove it by pressure washing the wood or sanding prior to staining. Sanding is not recommended as a first option unless every piece is sanded. We offer a wide selection of Oil and Water Based exterior finishes that we can recommend based on the final finish, maintenance schedule and look that is desired. Most exterior finishes do have to be re-coated or reapplied every 3 -5 years depending on the UV exposure to your home. You can find all of the exterior stain products that we carry at our Exterior Stains page. It is also recommended to caulk areas joints where the log siding butts into the corners or trim to prevent any moisture from getting behind the siding. All of our caulking items are located at our Caulk page.
2x8 Yellow Pine “D” Log Siding Storage Prior To Application:
Until installed, all log siding needs protection from direct sunlight, water saturation, snow, ice, dirt, and other elements. It is best to store the siding flat and off the ground with a vapor barrier so that moisture is not absorbed through the bottom boards of the stack. The siding should be protectedwith a waterproof covering elevated in the center so that water does not pool on the cover. We also recommend that you do not completely seal the bundle, as good air circulation is required to prevent any blue stain or molding. Ideally, the siding should be stored in an enclosed building such as a garage prior to use.
|Siding Type||"D" Log Siding|
|Species||Southern Yellow Pine|