Box #1 Grade 18” Perfection Western Red Cedar R&R Sidewall Shingles
#1 Grade 18” Perfection Western Red Cedar R&R Sidewall Shingles add warmth, durability, and timeless charm to your home. While many plastic and composite products on the market attempt to duplicate the look of cedar siding, none match the beauty and distinctiveness of naturally grown cedar. Our Western Red Cedar R&R (Rebutted and Rejoined) Sidewall Shingles are trimmed for parallel edges with butts sawn at right angles for true ease of installation. Whether you choose to stain, paint, or allow them to weather naturally to a beautiful silver, real cedar shingles are a low maintenance product that adds texture, durability, insulation, and individuality to your home.
Features & Benefits of Western Red Cedar Shingles:
• Extreme Durability – Cedar Shingles easily withstand harsh weather conditions including heavy wind, rain, and hail.
• Longevity – Western Red Cedar is known as one of the most durable softwoods, and with proper maintenance, Cedar Shingles can beautify your home for decades.
• Energy Efficiency – Cedar offers excellent insulation for your home, keeping it warmer during cold months, while allowing your home to breathe and stay cooler during the warmer months, all while maintaining a low carbon footprint.
• Termite Resistance – Western Red Cedar wood is naturally resistant to termites.
• Ease of Installation – Great for Do-It-Yourself projects, Cedar Shingles are easy to install.
• Versatility – Western Red Cedar Shingles can be used with many different architectural styles, affording you the option of a home covered in beautiful Cedar wood, or simply a small rustic accent area on an otherwise traditional home.
• Quality Milling – We sell only the highest quality Cedar products.
• Adaptability – Cedar Shingles are manufactured to be used on both interior and exterior wall surfaces.
• Packaging: Each box provides 100 square feet of wall coverage at 14" shingle exposure.
• Length: 18" (Perfection)
• Grade: Number 1 Grade, Blue Label. Bureau certified grading. Clear Heartwood, 100% edge grain, no defects.
• Texture: Sawn-Face Texture.
• Thickness: 0.45" thickness at Butt.
• Courses per Carton: 56.
• Cartons per Square: 1 carton.
• Width: 14" maximum exposure, 4" minimum exposure.
Coverage Rate Information:
• When using double coursing, this product has a maximum exposure of 14".
• When using Single coursing, this product has a maximum exposure of 8".
Single Coursing Vs. Double Coursing Application Methods:
• Using the single coursing application method, the shingles are installed with one layer of shingles per run.
• Using the double coursing method, two shingles are installed on top of each other on every layer. This method allows more of the face of each shingle to be exposed, providing more square footage of coverage from each box of shingles. Double exposure application also saves money on material and produces a more noticable shadow line.
Estimating Cedar Shingles:
1. Measure the amount of square footage you have to cover.
2. Using the chart above, identify the amount of coverage per box at your desired exposure.
3. Divide the square footage of coverage needed by the square footage per box value that you just selected from the chart.
Example: 500 square feet of wall needs to be covered using #1 grade perfection cedar sidewall shingles. The highest level of exposure is desired, therefore the shingles should be installed as a double course with a 14" exposure. At a 14" exposure, each box of shingles should yield 100 square feet of coverage. So, divide the 500 square feet of wall coverage by the 100 square feet of coverage per box. At this exposure, 5 boxes are required to complete the job.
Certi-label Cedar Shakes and Shingles: Made from the Finest Wood Fiber on Earth
Western Red Cedar Sidewall Finishes/Coatings Options
Guide to Rebutted/Rejointed Shingles and Machine Grooved Shakes
|Brand||Watkins Saw Mill|
|Species||Western Red Cedar|
|Shingle Application||Roof Shingle, Sidewall Shingle|
|Shingle Grade||No. 1 Blue Label|
|Shingle Length||18" Perfection|
|Shingle Profile||Rebutted & Rejointed|
|Guides / Product Info||
Additional Technical Resources for 18” Perfection Western Red Cedar R&R Sidewall Shingles:
Single Coursing Western Cedar Shingle Installation:
Finishing Cedar Shingles:
**Please Note: some nail manufacturers offer nails specifically for wood shake or shingle sidewall application. Contact the nail manufacturer for further information to ensure the fasteners used comply with listed requirements and are correct for your application.