The FastenMaster OlyLog Screw is the first threaded log home fastener which requires no predrilling and is ACQ approved. Since its introduction, the OlyLog has changed the way log homes are constructed.
FastenMaster OlyLog Product Features
• Installs much faster and easier than lags & spikes – Saves time and fatigue. – Dramatically lowers installed cost.
• Requires no predrilling – Eliminates on-site predrilling.
• Countersinks into log – Allows log to settle naturally.
• Draws warped logs down.
• Removable and reusable.
• Eliminates jarring and damage caused by a sledge hammer.
• Engineered for increased strength and performance.
FastenMaster OlyLog Product Benefits
• No predrilling.
• Self countersinking headstyle.
• Strong pull down and holding power.
• Removable: Just put the drill in reverse and back it out.
• Corrosion resistant. ACQ Approved.
• No sledge hammer damage.
• Greatly reduced labor time.
FastenMaster OlyLog Installation Instructions
• Use a 1/2", high torque, low RPM drill.
• Install OlyLog perpendicular to the log.
• Countersink the OlyLog a minimum of 1/4".
FastenMaster OlyLog Physical Data
• Available Sizes: 2 1/2", 4", 6", 8", 9", 10", 12", 14", 16"
• Head Style: Hex
• Thread Length: 2"
• Thread Diameter: 0.25"
• Shank Diameter: 0.19"
• All screw sizes are packaged 250/box. One hex bit per box is included.
OMG Olylog Screw Resources
OMG FastenMaster Olylog Guarantee of Performance
Write Your Own Review
I am building a Log Home in Scotland using a tongue and grooved log which is 180mm x 114mm or 7" x 5". This Scandinavian sourced house does not traditionally use OlyLog screws however I would like to use them to reduce the settling time and to straighten twisted logs.
Could you advise me on the spacing between the screws and whether I should use OlyLog screws or the heavier HogLog screws for this size of log.
Thank you for your question. OMG recommends sizing Olylog screws 2” longer than the nominal height of the logs, with spacing of the screws every 2 feet. So we would typically recommend the 10” Olylog for your home. Also, since the screws are packaged in 250 piece boxes, an easy method to estimate the boxes of screws you’d need is to divide your linear footage by 500 (250 pieces X 2’ spacing).
On securing the logs over a door or window, the most important rule is to ensure that the log spans longer than the width of the opening. In that way the log will serve as a lintel or header over the opening. You definitely need to avoid having a butt joint over the opening. OMG does not give any specific recommendations on screw placement near openings, but good practice is to fasten screws 6” from each side of the opening. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions at all.