Sikkens Proluxe. The same great Sikkens formula you know and trust, slightly different labels.
The high quality formula that is synonymous with the Sikkens name is exactly the same as before. Only the name is changing. You can be confident that the product is the same in the can regardless of whether the name is Sikkens or ProLuxe . Please click here or here for further information from PPG on this change.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window is a high performance finish for specialty applications such as exterior doors and windows. This alkyd high solids formulation offers optimum protection and a distinctive look in fewer coats. The inclusion of translucent iron oxide pigments and UV absorbers gives excellent UV protection and color retention. Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window Wood Finish creates a protective film while giving the signature distinctive Sikkens Wood Finishes look. For a greater selection of colors, Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 Exterior Stain may be used as a base coat for Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window Stain.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window Recommended Usage
• Exterior Wood Entrance Doors
• Wood Garage Doors
• Wood Window Frames
• Fiberglass Doors
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window Key Features & Benefits
• High Solids Alkyd - Excellent film build for optimum protection and premium furniture-like look.
• Translucent Iron Oxide Pigments & UV Absorbers - Combination gives high performance UV protection preventing graying and deterioration.
• Excellent Microporosity & Flexibility - Minimizes blistering and cracking due to expansion and contraction or moisture build-up.
• High-Performance Film - Durable surface barrier prevents weathering.
• Allows natural characteristics and grain of the wood to show through.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window Color Chart
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window Resources
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window Tech Data Sheet
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window MSDS Sheet
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window System Options
• Moderate UV Protection - Apply three coats of Cetol Door & Window clear gloss or satin.
• Good UV Protection - Apply one coat of Cetol Door & Window ready-mix-color and two coats of Cetol Door & Window clear gloss or satin.
• Better UV Protection - Apply two coats of Cetol Door & Window ready-mix-color and one coat of Cetol Door & Window clear gloss or satin.
• Best UV Protection - Apply three coats of Cetol Door & Window ready-mix-color.
Cetol Door and Window with Cetol 1 System Options
• Good UV Protection - Apply one coat of Cetol 1 Exterior Stain and two coats of Cetol Door & Window clear gloss or satin.
• Better UV Protection - Apply two coats of Cetol 1 Exterior Stain and two coats of Cetol Door & Window clear gloss or satin.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window Coverage Rates
• Coverage areas per coat for Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window as follows:
• On smooth surfaces or hardwoods, 350-450 sq ft./gallon.
• Actual coverage may vary depending on the type, age and texture of the wood and application method.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window Application Methods
• Long Haired Natural Bristle Brush.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window Drying Time
• Drying Time – 24 hours minimum at 68°F and 65% relative humidity. At temperatures below 50º F (10º C) or conditions of high humidity the drying time will be extended.
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window dries to touch in approximately 6 hours.
• Dries to recoat in 24 hours additional coat may increase these times.
• Wait 7 days before using furniture.
• Low temperature, high humidity, thick films or poor ventilation will increase these times. Avoid heavy abrasions immediately following application.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window vs. Varnishes and Polyurethanes
• When a temperature differential is present between the inside and the outsides of a structure, wooden window sashes and doors can flex. This can put a strain on ordinary wood finishes (polyurethanes and varnishes) causing the film to break instead of flexing with the wood.
• Cetol Door & Window was developed to maintain its flexiblity in all weather conditions including temperature differentials.
• In constrast to varnishes and polyurethanes, Cetol Door & Window provides optimum UV protection, while maintaing maximum clarity, beauty, and protection for the wood.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window Preparation Instructions
• All wood surfaces must be thoroughly clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew, mill glaze and previous coatings before applying Cetol Door and Window Wood Finish.
• The best method to prepare vertical wood surfaces is to sand with 80-120 grit sandpaper. However, the following preparation may be used as an alternate to sanding.
• Weathered grey wood or wood affected with blue fungi or rust from nails may be treated after the surface preparation by applying a solution of four ounces of oxalic acid crystals in a gallon of warm water. This solution should be allowed to sit on the affected areas for 15-20 minutes before the final rinse with clean water. Let dry three days before coating.
• It is always recommended to perform a three coat color test on a sample of the wood.
• Previous coatings must be removed prior to application of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window.
1. Spray all wood surfaces with clean water, completely wetting the wood.
2. Generously apply a cleaning solution of four (4) ounces of 100% powdered Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) or phosphate-free substitute with one (1) quart of liquid bleach and three (3) quarts of water to the wood surfaces with a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover.
3. Let the solution dwell on the wood for 15-20 minutes as you scrub the surface with a hard bristle brush to help remove mill glaze or weathering. Do not allow solution to dry on the wood surface.
4. Power wash cleaning solution from the wood with plenty of clean fresh water using 500-800 psi with the nozzle 8-12 inches from the surface for full effectiveness of the cleaning and to prevent damage to the wood.
5. Allow the surface to dry for at least 48 - 72 hours, or to have a moisture content of 18% or less before finishing.
6. All horizontal surfaces must be sanded using 80-120 grit sandpaper. Always sand in the direction of the wood grain and remove sanding dust.
7. Proluxe Cetol Door and Window Wood Finish should be applied within four weeks provided that the surface remains free of dirt, grease grim, mildew).
New Wood - Clean and prepare all wood surfaces as specified above. Sand door and window surface with 80-120 grit sandpaper prior to application of product.
Exotic Hardwood - Ipe, mahogany, iron wood, tiger wood and teak woods exhibit a dense cell structure which may reduce the ability of a coating to penetrate the wood surface. Clean and prepare surface as specified above. Immediately prior to applying coating, wipe surface with acetone.
Weathered Uncoated Wood - Clean and prepare surface as specified above.
Previously Coated Wood - Previous stains, varnishes or sealers must be completely and thoroughly removed prior to application of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window Wood Finish. After removal of previous coatings. Clean and prepare surface as specified above.
For Fiberglass Doors– Contact Sikkens Wood Finishes Technical Support for further details.
Checking Moisture Content Before Staining:
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window cannot be applied when the moisture content of the wood is over 18%.
• If applied on wood with over 18% moisture content, mold and mildew may grow beneath the finish which may cause peeling, cracking and failure over time.
• It is recommended to use a Moisture Meter to test the moisture content of your wood before starting your staining project. A good moisture meter can be purchased at most hardware or home improvement stores.
Caulking Cracks, Checks, and Gaps:
• Fill all joints, cracks and nail holes with a quality acrylic latex caulk/filler such as Perma Chink Energy Seal Caulk or Weatherall UV Guard Textured Caulk prior to applying Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window.
• Any cracks or checks that are upward facing which can hold water need to be sealed immediately to prevent any future rot or decay.
• Some larger cracks may need Closed Cell Backer Rod to help insulate and fill the space in ensure a proper seal.
• An annual inspection of all corners, butt joints, windows and doors is helpful in insulating and maintaining the life of your log home.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window Application Instructions
1. Before starting, test your color choice on a small area, applying all coats required.
2. For best UV protection, apply three coats of ready mix color.
3. Buy sufficient product for the whole job and intermix all product together before starting to avoid color and sheen variance.
4. Stir thoroughly before and periodically during application.
5. Do not thin.
6. Apply when air and surface temperature is between 50° F (10° C) - 90° F (32° C).
7. Do not apply in direct sunlight, if rain, snow, heavy dew or low temperatures below 40° F (4° C) are expected within 48 hours.
8. Saturate all end grains, nail holes and cracks in the wood.
9. Maintain a wet edge to avoid lap marks.
10. Fill joints, cracks, nail holes with a quality polyurethane or acrylic caulk/filler prior to coating.
11. Brushing is the preferred method of application, using a soft long haired natural bristle brush such as a Wooster 4" Bravo Stainer. Spray or roller application is not recommended.
12. Apply one even medium coat of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window Finish avoiding heavy application.
13. Allow to dry a minimum of 24 hours.
14. Apply a second coat of Cetol Door & Window Finish.
15. Let surface dry a minimum of 24 hours.
16. Apply a third coat of Cetol Door & Window Finish.
17. Apply in the direction of the grain.
18. Coat all sides of door.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window Special Notes:
• Three coats must be applied using any combination of ready-mix colors, Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 1 Exterior Stain or clear top coats.
• For application on exotic hardwoods, immediately before applying coating wipe surface with acetone.
• Tannin containing woods such as redwood, red cedar, mahogany, douglas fir, etc. contain tannic acid which tends to migrate to the surface and discolor the stain, especially noticeable when using white or light colors. The discoloration is not harmful and can usually be removed.
• Apply a cleaning solution of four (4) ounces of oxalic acid to one gallon of warm water using a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover.
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window needs UV light to cure. Shaded area or shop coated projects will dry much more slowly. Do not use Cetol Door & Window clear gloss or clear satin by itself on areas heavily exposed to UV light.
• Allow solution to dwell on surface for 20 minutes then thoroughly rise with clean water. DO NOT ALLOW solution to dry on wood surface.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window Cleanup & Shelf Life
• Clean all tools immediately with mineral spirits.
• Clean spills right away with a damp cloth.
• Shelf Life: 5 years maximum – unopened.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door & Window Maintenance Instructions:
• Proper maintenance starts with visual inspection.
• A timeframe of two (2) – three (3) years on the south and west exposures and three (3) – four (4) years on the north and east exposures can be used as a general guideline.
• As weathering, exposure conditions, altitude, and applications can vary, maintenance may be needed sooner and should be performed when visually necessary, regardless of timeframe.
• To identify the changes caused by weathering, we recommend saving a coated board from your project and storing it indoors. This can be used to periodically compare to your exterior surface to determine when cleaning, maintenance or replacement are needed.
• Before application of a maintenance coat, prepare the surface using the previously mentioned TSP solution but reducing the solution to 2 ounces of 100% powdered Tri-Sodium Phosphate or phosphate-free substitute.
• Let the surface dry 3 days after power washing. Apply 1 coat of Cetol Door & Window Wood Finish.
• An annual inspection of all windows and doors is helpful in maintaining the life of your log home.
• Fill any new cracks with a quality acrylic latex caulk/filler such as Perma Chink Energy Seal Chink or Weatherall UV Guard Textured Caulk.
• If Carpenter Bees are present and have drilled any new holes, it is best clean the area and seal the bee hole. Please check out our Carpenter Bee Additives for preventive solutions.
• An annual cleaning of the structure with a house wash such as Perma Chink Log Wash or TruClean EX House Wash helps to prevent any accumulation of dirt, pollen, dust and airborne contaminates.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window Application Do’s and Don’ts
• Prepare your wood properly for stain and finish application. Mill glaze, the shiny surface created when lumber is planed, may keep coatings from penetrating.
• Intermix different batches/cans together to ensure color consistency.
• Apply when the surface and air temperature is between 50ºF and 95ºF (10ºC and 35ºC).
• Fill any new cracks with a quality acrylic latex caulk/filler.
• Saturate all end grains, nail holes and cracks in the wood.
• Maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks.
• Apply a medium coat in the direction of the wood grain using a soft long haired natural bristle brush such as Wooster 5 1/2” Bravo Stainer Brush.
• Maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks.
• Stir well before using with a Shurline 1 Gallon Paint Mixer. Do not shake if using product the same day.
• Coat all sides of doors.
• Do not apply over other coatings. All previous coatings must be completely removed, except structures already coated with Cetol Door and Window or Cetol 1 Exterior Stain.
• Do not use three coats of clear alone on areas that receive high levels of UV exposure.
• Do not apply in direct sunlight.
• Do not apply when the surface is hot to the touch.
• Do not apply when dew or frost is present or expected within five (5) hours.
• Do not apply in wet weather.
• Do not apply when moisture content of the wood is greater than 18%.
• Do not thin with any mineral spirits or paint thinner.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window Shipping
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window may not be shipped via air transit due to D.O.T. restrictions.
Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window Finish
• Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Door and Window is available in both Satin and Gloss clear finishes.
Customer Reviews (1)
- GREAT PRICE AT TWIN CREEKS!Review by Gary
Features Value Design Quality Ease of Use
Write Your Own Review
Thank you for your question. That is a commonly used method to tone down the sheen of a finish that has gotten too glossy. We discussed it earlier today with Sikkens and they confirmed that there weren’t any known incompatibilities there. Please contact us if you have any further questions.