2x6 Southern Yellow Pine - #1 Prime Tongue & Groove Flooring Features & Benefits:
• High-quality Southern Pine Flooring meets the challenges of the most demanding applications.
• Southern Yellow Pine offers a distinct grain pattern and appealing golden color.
2x6 Southern Yellow Pine - #1 Prime Tongue & Groove Flooring Product Specifications:
• Width: 5"
• Thickness: 1 1/2"
• Available Lengths: 8', 10’, 12’, 14’, and 16'.
• Grade: #1 Prime.
• Installation Type: Stainless Steel Nail or Screw.
• Cutting Waste: Recommended approximately 5%-10%.
• Typical Weight per linear foot: 2 lbs./lf
• Profile: Centermatch/V-Joint.
• Joinery: Tongue & Groove Board Edges, Board Ends are Squared.
• Shipping Options: Flat-bed tractor trailer, Roll Back, LTL Carrier. Shipping method is determined based on location and order size to minimize cost.
**When shipping via LTL carrier, the longest length available for shipping is 12’.
2x6 Southern Yellow Pine - #1 Prime Tongue & Groove Flooring Coverage Calculations:
You can calculate the coverage for this flooring using our Tips page: How Do I Determine How Much Lumber I Need? Please call us if you would like a free takeoff for your project as well.
2x6 Southern Yellow Pine - #1 Prime Tongue & Groove Flooring Resources:
Southern Pine Flooring Guide
2x6 Southern Yellow Pine - #1 Prime Tongue & Groove Flooring Storage Prior To Application:
Once southern yellow pine flooring is received on a jobsite, the material must be acclimated before installation. Acclimating a yellow pine floor allows time for the wood to adjust itself to a moisture balancing point to help any future shrinking and swelling of the product. Ideally, all yellow pine flooring should be stacked and sorted in each room where the flooring is going to be installed 5 to 14 days prior to installation depending on the local humidity and weather conditions.
According to the Southern Forest Products Association (SFPA), making sure that you have the following jobsite conditions is key to the proper installation of Southern Yellow Pine Flooring:
• The building is fully enclosed; all windows and exterior doors are installed.
• The proper subfloor nailing base is installed.
• The heating and cooling system is operational.
2x6 Southern Yellow Pine - #1 Prime Tongue & Groove Flooring Recommended Moisture Barriers:
A suitable moisture barrier and subfloor nailing based must be installed to provide adequate protection and support for the flooring. Two types of moisture barrier material are recommended beneath a Southern Yellow Pine Flooring.
• Polyethylene: A 6-mil thickness is preferred; a 4-mil thickness is considered acceptable. A perm rating below 1.0 for polyethylene is required to retard moisture.
• Roofing Felt Paper: Two layers of 15 lbs. paper, or one layer of 30 lbs. paper.
If installing Southern Yellow Pine Flooring over Concrete, additional steps, such as the installation of a vapor barrier, must be taken to ensure a proper installation. Please contact Twin Creeks for additional installation information concerning Southern Yellow Pine over Concrete.
2x6 Southern Yellow Pine - #1 Prime Tongue & Groove Flooring Finishing & Maintenance:
After all construction debris has been removed and all nail heads have been countersunk, it is recommended to perform a finish sanding of the floor before you apply a stain or sealer. All sanding should be done in the same direction as the flooring strips, never across.
As with every unfinished interior wood flooring, applying a quality finish to all exposed surfaces is recommended. A floor finish protects the wood from moisture absorption and UV degradation. The finish selected will affect how often the floor needs cleaning and extra maintenance. A lighter floor will hide dust better, although dirt, spills, and grit may remain more visible leading to more frequent sweeping. Darker colors of floor finishes tend to conceal scratches and visible damages and tend to be more forgiving than lighter colors. Since dark colors absorb light rather than reflect it, a dark floor color may make a room appear smaller than lighter colors. You can find all of the flooring finish products we carry at our Floor Finishes page.
General Wood Flooring Maintenance Tips:
• Use door mats at entryways. Do not use cocoa fiber or rubber-backed mats.
• Use area rugs in high-traffic lanes.
• Use floor protectors beneath furniture.
• Sweeping regularly prevents scratching from dirt and grit.
• Avoid using water on wood floors. Water causes wood to expand.
• Direct sunlight can discolor wood. Use draperies or blinds to shield the floor from direct sunlight.